Pre-Law Advising

Transcripts and Resumes

Securing transcripts and having an up-to-date résumé are crucial for applying to law school.


You will need to order transcripts from the Office of the Registrar at Brown and from the registrar at any other postsecondary educational institution where you have taken courses or earned either an undergraduate or graduate degree. Brown’s Office of the Registrar website provides all necessary information and access so you can request your transcript. Please note that if you have taken courses at RISD, you must submit a RISD transcript. More information about transcript requirements is available on the LSAC website.

Foreign Transcripts

You can find detailed information on the LSAC page for International Transcripts but we have summarized the overall points here for your convenience. Transcripts for course work abroad are required in the two instances listed below:

    •  You are applying to a law school that requires the authentication and evaluation feature of the Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and you received your bachelor’s degree from an institution outside of the United States, its territories or Canada.
    • You were directly enrolled at such an institution outside the US, its territories, or Canada, and the total amount of work you completed at all of these institutions combined is the equivalent of more than one year of undergraduate study in the United States, its territories, or Canada.



    You will need to have a polished and up-to-date resume to submit with your law school applications. The Pre-Law advisors can discuss your resume with you, but for longitudinal help preparing your resume, meet with a career counselor at the Center for Career Exploration.


    Copies of all international educational records must be submitted in the original language securely by the original institution. If the transcript or other required documents are not in English, a translation must be included. Individual law schools may have specific requirements. Make certain you are aware of those as you explore law schools to which you will apply.

    In most cases, you do not need to send transcripts from the school where you studied abroad. You can find detailed information on the LSAC page for International Transcripts.